Are you a blogger? Are you working on becoming a blogger? Are you totally new and curious about blogging as a career?
If you haven't learned this already, you're going to learn it soon:
Finance, accounting, and bookkeeping concepts are still highly relevant to solopreneur info-businesses.
That's the harsh truth that most people try to ignore for as long as possible. And I get it. You're a creative, and finance is just..so...technical.
I know why you hate bookkeeping. I hate it too. But you cannot afford to ignore your numbers.
My professional background is accounting. I double majored in accounting and finance while interning at a CPA firm. After graduation, I gave a year of my life to public accounting as a staff accountant at that same firm. Somewhere during that mess, I realized I hated it.
So 20+ bookkeeping clients and 260+ tax returns later, I'm transitioning out of the public accounting world. But I'm taking one vital lesson with me:
Managing your finances is vital to your business. Bookkeeping isn't glamorous, it isn't fun, it isn't creative...but it is necessary.
My mission is this.
I'm here to teach solopreneurs how to build a healthy and profitable creative business through a simplified, no-fear approach to finance.
I live in the space between "Just starting a blog" and "Need to hire a CPA" so that I can empower YOU with the knowledge and confidence to DIY your bookkeeping and make more informed decisions.
Don't just outsource it and ignore it. You need to know your own numbers. Have you ever seen the entrepreneurs spouting out numbers and statistics on the TV show Shark Tank? I want you to be that kind of confident.
And it doesn't have to be that painful! I like to have fun, so my explanations are ridiculous (yet helpful!), my concepts are backed with visuals, and pictures of my dog are everywhere.
Flash is using his donut toy as a pillow.
How cute is that?! He'll make sticking around here worth it.
You know what else will make it worth it?
Not feeling stressed during tax time trying to figure out whether or not your business made a profit.
Not feeling intimidated when you open up your bookkeeping software to reconcile your accounts for the month.
Not feeling lost in a room of entrepreneurs who seem to know way more about the technical side of business than you do.
I'm here to bring you confidence, clarity, and number-smarts in the simplest way possible. Because if you're a fellow Lazypreneur, your ultimate goal is to free up time and make your life simpler.
See? I understand you. (Because I AM you!)
So stick around, and explore a little!
The "Lazy" Source?
I wasn't raised to be lazy. I'm the product of two incredibly hardworking people. I've seen hard work and discipline and pure grit in action.
But I'm also lazy. At my core. This made things difficult, but my hardworking parents were not going to let me waste my life away.
I was going to graduate high school with the best grades and scholarships I could get (Asian mom), get a useful college degree, and get a stable full time job with long-term learning opportunities. Sounds great, right? I thought so.
The annoying part was, I had to actually accomplish those things.
When you're too lazy to get up and pee when you've got to go, it's really hard to graduate college with Honors.
When you need a nap 2 hours after you woke up from a 9-hour sleep, it's really hard to go work 48 days in a row during tax season.
But it had to be done, so I did what I could to make it easier. I'd say I've learned a few things.
As such, everything I teach will be through the lens of simplicity, efficiency, and, when applicable, automation.
I'm a huge advocate for strategizing with scalability in mind, and I firmly believe the best way to do this is to establish efficient systems.
This makes things easier and faster and works wonders for stress management.
It also can keep lazy butts like mine in check.
Fun fact: My prop is a Harry Potter book but at the time I hadn't read HP yet. It just matched the owl necklace.
Here's the exciting (or boring, if you're mean) part!
10 things about me ...though I cheat on number 10.
- My name is Katie Scott. It's actually Katharine (with an 'a' after the 'h') but I'm saving that for later in life just because I feel old when people call me that.
- I've lived in Florida all my life. It's hot. People drive bad. But it's a great place to live.
- I married my college sweetheart, Michael, on May 20, 2017. (Yes, that means I'm married to a Michael Scott. Shout out to fans of The Office, but I've never watched it. Sorry.)
- I was a double major and earned my B.S. in Accounting and Finance. I based that decision off of my love for journal entries in the principles level accounting class. Boy was I in for a surprise. Accounting got hard. Finance got weird.
- I have a full-time job at a local public accounting firm that I'm currently transitioning out of! I'll still get another job to keep paying the bills, but this blog is ultimately my 9-5 Escape Plan. Shout to my fellow Day-Jobbers!
- My three main food groups are Chocolate, Chicken Wings, and Sweet Tea. This is not a fitness blog.
- I have a borderline unhealthy love for all dogs. (My dog is a Shih Tzu/Chihuahua mix and his name is Flash. You will see many pictures of him around because he's the cutiest cute of all the cutes.)
- My favorite book of all time is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. My favorite series is The Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. (Psst, I've got more book recommendations here!)
- I'm half-Taiwanese, but I only like rice 5% of the time and I use chopsticks as well as an earthworm would.
- RANDOM THINGS I LOVE: Sharpie Pens, Spreadsheets, Megamind, Star Wars, budgets, organizing, sewing mini-plushies, tactical knives, hot sauce, Miyazaki movies, Team Ico games, Avatar the Last Airbender, Pepsi, Prague, and the word "penultimate."
And there you have it! A glimpse into the blog and a glimpse into the hodgepodge soul that is me.
If you have any questions, comments, or just want to connect over something we might have in common, please please please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org! I'd love to get to know you, now that you've learned a bit about me!
If you've been putting off developing an actual financial management system for your blog, this video will give you a start-to-finish process without costing you a dime.
Seriously, you can have everything set up today, so don't wait! Add your information below so I can send you the private link!