Welcome to your introduction to bookkeeping...
So you're ready to learn the simple and free way to start your blog's bookkeeping system, huh?
Good for you! That's a huge step!
The video below is a walkthrough of my preferred bookkeeping software, Wave. It's totally free for bookkeeping use, no strings attached! This video will give you the start-to-finish process for signing up for your Wave account and taking the first steps in your financial management process.
A few things to note before watching this video:
- You need to have a separate bank account for your blog. It doesn't have to be a business account! Just a regular checking account will do. If you don't have this yet, open up your online banking in a new tab right now and set up your account. Transfer a little starting money over, then start moving all of your subscriptions and payments over to this new account.
- If you haven't been managing your finances in a separate account, you will need to manually input your old transactions from wherever they've been occurring (likely your personal checking). This is fine - I show you manual data entry in this tutorial! But be sure to get that other account set up ASAP!
- This tutorial is simplified and generalized. If you think your finances are a little messier or more complicated than this, scheduling a Finance Coaching Call with me is the perfect solution for you!
- I had to film this with a laptop that's currently on its deathbed, so try to overlook any choppy edits or weird audio shifts! The information you need is here, and if you have any questions, you can always shoot me an email at email@example.com
That should get you started! So grab a notepad and sit back a bit - if you give me about 25 minutes of teaching time, I'll give you the framework for your first bookkeeping system.
Plus, a few extra helpful tidbits and quick tips sprinkled throughout. ;)
Just a quick note: This video gets the job done, but I'm ready to give it an upgrade! I'll give you a heads up as soon as I've finished the new version, but for now, use this video to get started ASAP. It still has what you need to know - I'd just like to make some improvements on the audio portion. ;) Just a note in case you watch this video and feel like whatever newbie did the voiceover needs some more practice.
This is a lot of information! If you're feeling a little overwhelmed, that's totally normal. Completely normal.
You have a few options!
- Head back to The Lazy Source and see if I have a resource for your questions!
- Email me! My inbox is always open: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schedule a video call with me so we can discuss your personal situation in depth!
Don't let your intimidation keep you from your business' financial health. Once you take your first steps, it's really not so bad!
And the benefits far outweigh the negatives, promise.